Thursday, 15 June 2017

Bubba's first birthday card ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well. It was recently our beloved niece’s first birthday! I was, to put it mildly, a bit unnerved at what I had that could be used for a little ones birthday card but after a search through my stamps and stash I came up with this card …

  
An A5 card
All the details
I don't normally 'do' teddy bears lol!
I used bling gems to create a number one
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Allsorts Challenge #419 Use at least two dies: I used three
Penny Black & More Challenge June Anything Goes
Love to Craft Challenge LTCCB#11 Anything Goes
The flower petals and leaves, the sentiment, the stamped image, the matt and the ‘st’ were all created using snippets
Scrapy Land Challenge #67 Anything Goes:
I used Crafters Companion dies
There is texture from the die cuts, the cardboard rocking horses, the pearls, the texture from the bling and from all the layers
The Ribbon Girl Challenge June Card Challenge


I finally remembered this stunning Teddy stamp. He is the only teddy bear stamp I own because most other images are too cloying. There is only one other Teddy that I like add that is the lovely Parsnip, Miss Pixie's Teddy, he is cute and sweet and not cloying in any way. Previously I’ve struggled with creating texture from hair or fur but I really wanted to make Teddy look right so I took my time and I think it is okay. I stamped Teddy with a Distress IP and then coloured him in layers using my Spectrum Aqua pens. Once I had one light layer dried I added another over the top and I continued this until I was happy, so many layers of colour went into colouring this wee bear! I think it worked, I think he has textured hair/fur but I’m not sure because I'm too critical of my colouring skills.

Whilst Teddy was drying I went through my stash to find card, paper and embellishments that I wanted to use. I found these Dutch Doobadoo rocking horse embellishments which I coloured with blue acrylic paint because I didn’t want the card to be in shades of pink, just for a girl. The deep pink layer on the front is some packaging that I have recycled and everything else that was used for die cutting, stamping or matting came from my snippets boxes.

I really wanted to add a number one for her first birthday and I wanted to add the ‘st’ too and I had a very rare light bulb moment thinking I could chop up a word for the ‘st’ and that’s exactly what I did. The self adhesive gem embellishments are some really old stash, so much so that the glue had started to dry out so I made sure I added little blobs of glue here and there. I’ve no idea where or when I purchased the gems either. Once I had figured out the layout and I was happy with it I felt that it was little bear so I used more white snippets to cut the petals and leaves and I coloured them with my Spectrum Aqua pens. I also added a line of pearls in between the rocking horses legs.

I have to be honest, mainly for me, and say that there are parts of this card that I like and love and there are other parts which I don’t like or love. With hindsight I should not have added the die cut flower, but hey it’s good because I got to spend time thinking of a design and now I’m not as badly terrified with the idea of a making a card for a child. Some things were learned and I have a better starting point for next year lol! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x

  








Tools
Stamp:
All Night Media teddy bear stamp (more than 20 years old)
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Sara Davies Butterfly Lullaby Signature Range: Happy Birthday
Sheena Douglass Create A Flower Pointed Petals die set
Simon Says Stamp ‘Absolutely’ word die (I cut the ‘S’ and ‘T’ from this die)
Miscellaneous Tools:
Paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette

Supplies
Card Paper:
300 gsm card
Pink card stock from packaging
Snippets: coloured card; Sheena Douglass white stamping card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Aqua Naturals & Primary pen sets
DecoArt Americana blue acrylic paint
Embellishments:
Self adhesive: gems; pearls from my stash
Dutch Doobadoo rocking horse embellishments
Adhesives/Mediums:
Collall all purpose glue
Double sided tape
Fun foam



9 comments:

brenda said...

It looks like a perfect card for a little girl Karen, the teddy looks like one of the lovely Victorian ones and that rocking horse die is so sweet. Many thanks for joining us at Penny Black and More and Allsorts challenges.

B x

Di said...

What an adorable card Karen! So sweet and Parsnip is blushing here 😀

Hugs

Di xx

Di said...

What an adorable card Karen! So sweet and Parsnip is blushing here 😀

Hugs

Di xx

Rene said...

This is precious! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Creative Inspirations. Good luck,
Rene

Cara said...

I love the fur texture you've created, you've nailed that technique! Hope you're feeling a bit stronger today x

Donna said...

Such a gorgeous card Karen! Belated Birthday wishes to your niece.
Thanks for joining in with The Ribbon Girl June card challenge, and good luck in the prize draw.
Hugs, Donna xx

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

I can't think of a better card to celebrate a first birthday! I love all the clever details you included like making the number 1 so blingy! This is a great mix of traditional elements (teddy bear) with fresh techniques and I'm so glad you shared it with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

SARN said...

Aww it's adorable Karen. Wow - fancy a whole year going by already!
Hugs, Sarn xxx

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A super cute card ideal for a 1st birthday.

Sue xx