Wednesday, 12 April 2017

Experimenting ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well. I’m experimenting with ways to encourage me to use up my stash of patterned papers. I have a lot of patterned paper that I really want to use up and, right now, I don't plan to purchase any more lol! This card started out as an experiment that I actually now like, lol, and here it is …

An A6 card
I will have to send this card large, because it is deep!
I managed to capture a little of the sheen on the butterfly
 
Lovely warm colours and I am definitely craving sunshine!
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Butterfly Challenge #76 W for Windows &/ the colour Rose
My die cut holes are my windows & I used rose pink for the stencilled flowers
Creatalicious Challenge #112 Anything Goes optional Flowers
Die Cuttin’ Divas Challenge #12 Easter or Spring
Scrapy Land Challenge #63 Anything Goes
I used Crafters Companion and Sizzix dies
We don't send Easter cards in our family and I don't do hip hop music so I decided to invent a new technique that I hope will become hip!

Spring Colour Inspiration Board: I used all the yummy colours!

That’s Crafty Challenge Flowers & Foliage
The Ribbon Girl Challenge April card challenge


I hope I have fully filled the double duty brief, lol!
I purchase stamps & stencils can be used on all projects:
canvas; cards; home decor items; journals; and tags
They must be suitable for backgrounds as well as stand alone.
They need to be used for all styles and multiple mediums too.
Depending on my mood I create distressed, clean & simple, shabby chic & vintage style so my investment into tools & mediums have to be able to do all that
I have created three other cards with these stamps #1 #2 #3 in different styles



   



This card came about because I had a quarter of an A4 sheet of patterned paper that was left over from another project. I really am trying to use those snippets up as I go but I wanted to make another card for the Simon Says Stamps Wednesday Challenge which is celebrating it's eighth year so I already knew I wanted to use my Simon Says Stamps Spring Flowers stamp set and my Simon Says Stamp Bouquet of Flowers stencil, I'm in the middle of an infatuation with flower stamps but I really wanted to use that snippet up too lol!

I stencilled and stamped the flowers onto an A6 piece of white card and then coloured the flowers, leaves, stems and the background using watercolours, inks and acrylics (really mixing them up too right now). I also wanted to use one of my Crafters Companion butterfly dies and as I was getting that from my die box I noticed the Tim Holtz Mixed Media #1 Dies and I had a rare light bulb moment. Maybe I could use that piece of paper up after all lol! I die cut the butterfly and then coloured it very bright with orange, no idea why but orange it became! I then used one of Tim's mixed media dies to cut the top left edge of the stamped, stencilled and coloured card and the bottom right hand side too. I used my Tim Holtz Distressing tool to rough up the edges of that panel and I added a snippet of ribbon to the front of the card, turning under on the edges. I adhered the patterned paper snippet then the stamped, stencilled and coloured piece and then I adhered the butterfly in position. I felt that it needed a little something more so I grabbed one of my air dry clay flowers and again I used orange, who knew, I mean orange is not a usual go to colour for me?!

This is an odd idea of mine but I like it and I will be trying it out and playing around more with this idea of peek a boo windows with patterned paper underneath. I didn't want the patterned paper to interfere with the flowers which is why I tried this and the patterned paper also happened to be a piece that I was not enamoured with so I have a win situation, lol, I've used another sheet of patterned paper fully so I don't feel like I'm throwing money down the drain and I created an interesting idea which I will be playing with and I have an inkling my flower infatuation might not be around for much longer! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x







Tools
Stamp:
SSS101595 Spring Flowers Simon Says Stamps set
Stencil:
SSS121354 Bouquet of Flowers Simon Says Stamps stencil
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Mixed Media Dies #1 Tim Holtz
Crafters Companion Sara Davies Butterfly Lullaby
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette; ink blending tool & foam; Distress tool; Martha Stewart mould

Supplies
Card Paper:
Sheena Douglass white stamping card
Crafters Companion Kraft card
Snippets: patterned paper
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Distress ink pads
Derwent Inktense watercolour pencils (12)
Imagination Crafts paint
Spectrum Noir AquaTints
Acrylic paint
Embellishments:
Snippet ribbon from my stash
Adhesives/Mediums:
Air dry clay
Collall 3D glue gel (orange sunflower)
Collall all purpose glue
Double sided tape
Washi tape (stencil)

11 comments:

Kim Evans said...

Karen, this was awesome! You nailed it and I like the diversity you created with the same objects. Well Done!

Samra Leshinski said...

Thank you for joining Scrapy Land challenge with this beautiful make.
Samra DT
Paper Talk with Samra

Cara said...

Wonderful batch of cards. Cara x

Mrs A. said...

I like your take on the windows element. Very ingenious. Love those colours and that gorgeous flower along with the butterfly. Thankyou for fluttering into the butterfly garden. Always a pleasure to see you. Hugs Mrs A.

Tracy Freeman said...

Hey lovely, hope you're having a nice weekend ? This is beautiful! Gorgeous colours and textures and love the flowers.
Have a great day lovely xxxx

Meihsia Liu said...

Love your beautiful card! The butterfly and the flower embellishments are fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

Mandy said...

Gorgeous cards Karen! The colours and textures look lovely and I love the pretty butterfly.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
Mandy xx

Esther said...

Just gorgeous!!!
Thanks for joining Die Cuttin Divas this week!

Sara Barker said...

Karen, this card screams spring! I hope you are getting some pretty weather, finally! We had our week of spring and now it's on to summer! I digress...

Great idea to use the mixed media die that way to allow an unloved scrap of patterned paper to show through. I am trying to use some of my papers, too (as you know from my recent posts), but it will NEVER happen in a zillion years! Why did I buy that stuff? (hoarder)

I love your homemade flower, and I think it looks great in orange, as does your butterfly! Thank you for sharing this at Emerald Creek Dares for our Double Duty Dare! You are getting double duty out of your products, and more! Hugs!

Sara Barker said...

While I'm here, I want to thank you, too, for joining in our challenge at Scrapy Land.

Brenda said...

Your card is beautiful Karen! I love all the texture and depth it has. The butterfly is gorgeous and I love that flower in the left hand corner. The colors are fabulous and cheery too! Hugs, Brenda