Thursday, 9 March 2017

Spring time decor ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well. I’m continuing my mixed media experiments and I am a bit obsessed with crackle paint/paste, lol, and I wanted to create something for our home that is bright and cheerful and reminiscent of springtime and here it is …

 
A piece for our home
Love the flowers and bird
Lots of texture and embellishing
I am happy with my watercolouring on the flower
Lovely little crackles!
  
I used my hummingbird mould and air dry clay, lovely depth the mould has
A final look, I am happy with the end result

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
All Aboard for the Birthday Challenge Celebration

Country View Crafts Challenge Inspired by Tim Holtz
Creative Artiste Challenge #24 Anything Mixed Media Goes

I was inspired by the lovely shades of blue. I don’t own any of your products, yet!

Frilly & Funkie Challenge Welcome Spring
Mixed Media World Challenge MMW#22 Mixed Media Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge make your own background 
Stamps & Stencils Challenge Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep


I want/need to do this again and soon. It’s an awesome crackle, the best I have achieved, I love it! I shared a heart hanging in mid February which I altered using Indigo Blue stencil, stamps and the other side with a Stamplorations stencil. I have several of these left to decorate. I purchased a pack of these hearts that I planned to alter with UTEE years ago but I didn’t like how the UTEE warped the heart and sometimes it cracked off. I have a box of chipboard pieces that have languished in a box in my craft room, no more, lol.

And this is how I did it:

1. Applied white gesso on the heart and used my brayer to cover it.
2. I used my heat tool to dry it.
3. Applied acrylic brown paint to the heart and used my brayer again and quickly heat dried.
4. I applied the DecoArt Crackle paste. In some areas there was a thin amount of crackle paste and in others thicker, because I wanted to see what would happen.
5. Left it overnight to dry because I’m not sure how the paste would react if I heat dried it.
6. I removed the lid from my favourite Distress paint, peacock feathers, and put some of the paint on the heart. I left it to dry for about five minutes, but it may have been a little longer as I was going with it and I lost track of time.
7. I used a baby wipe to remove some of the excess paint. The whiter areas are smaller crackle and the larger crackles are more peacock feather in colour.
8. I stamped the flower twice onto white card snippets and coloured with my Distress stains.
9. I have a box of my air dry clay embellishments ready but not painted so I applied a light layer of black acrylic and applied Pebeo Dyna iridescent acrylics to colour him.
10. At the same time that I added crackle paste to the large heart I applied it to two small die cut hearts. I coloured the little hearts with my Distress stains and left them to dry.
11. I had a couple of Wild Orchid Crafts flowers that had gotten a little battered so I decided to colour them with my Distress stains and put them to one side to dry.
12. Once everything was dry I tried different layout of the embellishments until I was happy, took a photo with my mobile, it helps lol!
13. I turned the heart over and attached the organza ribbon using double sided tape. I used an old battered piece of patterned paper to cover the back which just so happens to hide the ribbon.
14. I attached the embellishments to the heart using a wet glue and once dry I photographed it.

It took me some time but I had so much fun playing with my DecoArt crackle paste and Tim Holtz paints and stains. I must admit I am in love with the end result, hopefully more like this will follow soon. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x










Tools
Stamp:
Leonie Pujol stamp set: Entwined Beautiful Bloom
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Crafters Companion Inspiration Magazine Issue 9 heart dies
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; Brayer; Silicone mould; Heat tool
Paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette

Supplies
Card Paper:
Chipboard heart
Snippets: Sheena Douglass white stamping card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Distress paint: peacock feathers
Distress stains: picked raspberry; spun sugar
Pebeo Dyna iridescent acrylics: Blue Black, Blue Green, Green Yellow
DecoArt Americana acrylic: black
Embellishments:
Wild Orchid Crafts: Chrysanthemums
Pink Micro Beads
Organza ribbon
Adhesives/Mediums:
DecoArt white crackle paste
Air Dry Clay
Stickles glitter glue: Platinum
Ranger Glossy Accents
Pinflair 3D glue gel
Collall all purpose glue
Double sided tape

15 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I have to agree with you about the crackle, I am obsessed with using it at the moment lol. Lovely piece of art and I adore your watercoloured flower. Gorgeous texture too. Thanks so much for joining in A Vintage Journey Challenge. Tracy x

rachel said...

this is so very beautiful Karen - I adore what you have done! Amazing texture - great crackle! Lovely work! Thanks for joining us at stamps and stencils too! I am pleased to have found you karen - I have been having trouble reaching you through comments you have left - I always get directed to google plus but all the posts on there are quite old. Not sure what is going on but so glad I managed to see this!! Hugs rachel x

Sally H said...

A fabulous creation and a great entry for our close to nature challenge at Stamping Sensations. Thanks for joining us this month and good luck!

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely stunning Karen, beautifully coloured and designed project, fabulous texture and colours, Kate x

Dr Sonia S V said...

Simply stunning....love the dimensional nature
Cheers
Dr Sonia

brenda said...

Oooh Karen, what a beauty, love all the colours and texture, it looks so tactile and I want to just reach out and stroke it (as you do) many thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensation's 'Close to Nature' theme.

B x

France Ringuette said...

This is stunning, love the details on thoses flowers and that humming bird. Thanks for participating in the Creative Embellishments challenge and good luck.

Marci Bensing said...

First of all I love everything hearts--and you made them look superb!!! Really well done project! Thanks for sharing and joining us at CREATIVE EMBELLISHMENTS! (followed!)

Viv's Visuals said...

A wonderful project. Thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations!

Mrs A. said...

This is absolutely stunning. The colours and texture look amazing and those flowers are just something else. I love it. Hugs Mrs A

Team Clark said...

You are doing amazing work, Karen! This is no exception. I love your molded butterfly and gorgeous texture and colors - all stunning! Hugs, Autumn

Evelyn Walter said...

Your home decor heart is adorable, Karen! Crackle is one of my favourite too ;-) and you made wonderful cracks on your piece! I also like your flower.
Thank you for joining in with our Challenge over at Country View Crafts this month!
xx Evelyn

Macarena said...

Amazing hearts. Love the crackled surfaces and the colors. Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

FIona Kenward said...

This is super cute, thanks for playing along at Creative Artiste Mixed Media, Anything Goes, #24 March Challenge. Good luck!

LisaM said...

Beautiful project! Thanks for sharing it with us at Creative Embellishments!