Tuesday, 7 March 2017

March Mixed Media Journal #1 ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well. I’ve been practising drawing and painting my girl faces. I think, please let it be so, that I have finally managed to figure out how to paint my girls in mixed media style, her name is Amy, and here is the end result …

The very first time that my girls in watercolours and acrylics has worked!
There are errors but overall I am happy
Of course there had to butterflies and snippets too!
A final look

Created for me and luckily this also fits these Challenges 
Butterfly Challenge #73 Glossy Accents &/ Slate Blue
Colour Crazy Craft Challenge #9 Anything Goes
Creative Artiste Challenge #24 Anything Mixed Media Goes
Mixed Media World Challenge MMW#22 Mixed Media Anything Goes
Scrapy Land Challenge #61 Anything Goes I used Crafters Companion dies 
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge make your own background
We Love to Create Challenge #5 Anything Goes


I am absolutely delighted with the end result. It has taken me over two years to finally make this work, lol, mind you I have said on many occasions that the mixed media comes to me very very slowly and that was certainly the case for my girlies.

Okay a quick breakdown is that I drew here with a 2B pencil first then I painted her face with watercolours and when that was dry I tried to colour her hair with watercolours but I could not get it it right so I grabbed my three shades of brown acrylic and let loose. In my mind it was already ruined because of the blah watercolour hair. So I took my time and I was so completely astonished and surprised that it actually worked for the first time. I have made a note to myself to take my time and not stress so much the next time – after all as my hubby puts it – it’s only a piece of card or paper. Trouble is to me it isn’t only a piece of card or paper: it takes me a couple of hours to get it to the drawn and painted face.  For me the hair either works or doesn’t, no maybes for me lol!

I kept the background neutral by painting with acrylics but I added my Prima butterflies, because I love them. Then I decided to add die cuts and snippets because I preferred the look of it. Happy is an understatement right now but I will remember not to give up so easily or quickly next time. The next step for me is to draw and paint my girls onto mixed media backgrounds, exciting fun and experiments ahead! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x










Tools
Stamp:
Prima Finnabair: Don’t Forget to Fly stamp set
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Crafters Companion Inspiration Magazine Issue 10 dies
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette

Supplies
Card Paper:
Sheena Douglass white stamping card
Pink Pig Journal
Snippets: coloured card for die cutting, stamping & patterned paper for decorating
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
2B pencil
Watercolours: Derwent Inktense pencils; Winsor & Newton half pan
Acrylic paints: Ceramcoat
Ink Pad: Versafine onyx black
Adhesives/Mediums:
Versamark IP; Collall all purpose glue; double sided tape; fun foam




5 comments:

Becca Cruger said...

What a beautiful creations! Even if this was two years in the making, it was totally worth it!

Mrs A. said...

Hello Amy so pleased to meet you. Karen has coloured you in perfectly. I love your butterflies. Thankyou for fluttering by. Hugs Mrs A.

Barbara Schiassi said...

I think your result is fabulous! you have to continue to draw and create mixed media projects! Thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! Barbara

Beverley Lowe said...

Hi - this is fab! Love the girl you have drawn. Great project - keep it up!
Thanks for joining us over at Creative Artiste this month. Hope to see you again - good luck!
Hugs,
Bev (DT) x
Creative Artiste Mixed

Claire said...

Wow this is gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining us at We Love to Create!
Claire xx