Monday, 20 March 2017

AI's and Buttons Aplenty ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend was a good one and your week will be good too. Over the weekend I finally managed to locate my hoard of canvas, mini canvas with mini easel, canvas boards, chipboard shapes, chipboard sheets, Paper Mache boxes, sturdy boxes and tins! It turns out I have a lot more of these than I realised, lol, so I will be creating more mixed media projects in the months to come (I may have enough for the rest of 2017!). 

 Today I'm sharing a chipboard circle that I have adapted using alcohol inks, buttons, gesso, torn pages and definitions from an old encyclopaedia and here is how it looked after I had adhered the torn pages, gesso, alcohol ink and buttons …


I had thought that I owned more buttons that were the same size and colour than I do, about the only thing I haven't found more of, yet, in my craft room! So I started out by applying torn or bits of torn pages from an old encyclopaedia and then some white gesso. Once that was dry I added alcohol inks to the background, allowing them to splash onto the chipboard from the AI bottle. I had planned to use my new stencil and Pebeo Dyna iridescent acrylic paints in the middle of the circle but it looked awful so I moved onto the next step of attaching the buttons using matt medium. I realised that the size differences and colour differences in the buttons meant that they didn't look great so once the matt medium had dried I added a layer of thinned white gesso before adding more alcohol inks to just the buttons.

And here is how it looks now ...
A delicious purple decoration
Lovely depth on it
The old butterfly embellishment has lovely depth
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
All Aboard for the Birthday Challenge Celebration
I used a chipboard circle;
Adhered deliberated creased book pages (an old encyclopaedia);
Added a layer of watered down white gesso;
Once dry I splattered Alcohol Inks all over using blending solution to blend;
Then I played with stamps, buttons and embellishments to finish it

Country View Crafts Challenge Inspired by Tim Holtz
Frilly & Funkie Challenge You've Got to Know When to Fold "em"



I've got to admit that I am happy with how this one has turned out. I've loved creating these projects using my lovely Tim Holtz supplies this month and that's because of all the lovely challenges out there inspiring and urging me on - thank you Challenges and your Design Teams!

I love creating these mixed media projects it's always so much fun to see how they are going to turn out and the fact that I can combine stamping and stencilling to my projects depending on my mood adds a cherry on the top too lol!  I got to use my lovely Prima stamps as well as old embellishments, old buttons and a die I don't always remember to use: result lol! I hope you all like it too. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x










Tools
Stamp:
Prima Don't Forget to Fly stamp set
Die Cutting Machine & Die/s:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Sizzix Tim Holtz Rosette die
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; alcohol inks tool and nibs; craft mat

Supplies
Card Paper:
7" chipboard circle
Torn pages from an old encyclopaedia
Snippets: leftovers of Sheena Douglass white stamping card coloured with AquaTints; patterned paper for die cutting
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Black Versafine IP
Alcohol Inks: Stonewashed; Wild Plum; Stream; Silver Mixative
Embellishments:
Buttons
Bling Trim
Ribbon
Acetate butterfly
Adhesives/Mediums:
Ranger Alcohol Ink Blending Solution
Matt Medium (attaching the buttons)
Collall all purpose glue (attaching the encyclopaedia pages)

9 comments:

Megan J said...

Hi Karen, Wow, a gorgeous make love the colour you have chosen and the butterfly is the perfect embellishment, have a wonderful week... Megan

Hazel Agnew said...

I really love this Karen. I can see that so much love has gone into it. Texture on the buttons is fabulous! Thanks for joining in with us at Country View Crafts.

SARN said...

WOW - you really went to town on this. FABULOUS xxx

Deb Riddell ~ Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

What a fabulous ornament, love the play of the alcohol inks on your gessoed buttons and the butterfly adorning the center is so lovely, great bling! Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey forour third birthday celebration! Deb xo

Lynne Forsythe said...

WOW....you piece is BEAUTIFUL. The colors are amazing....just BEAUTIFUL! THANKS BUNCHES for playing along with the March Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!!

Lisa H said...

awesome use of buttons!! I love this. Thanks for sharing it with us at MMM. =)

Cec said...

Love how you unified the colour of the buttons with the alcohol ink and the rosette tucked behind your lovely layered butterfly. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec

Courtney said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I love everything about it! Congrats on being honorable mention this month!! :)

Sara Barker said...

Karen, I'm so pleased to see you take the honorable mention at MMM! Wow! That's a lot of buttons you've put on there! Must have taken lots of time! So pretty! Congratulations!