Sunday, 29 January 2017

Snowscapes for my Watercolour Journal ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend is going well. One of my self imposed resolutions or challenges for this year is to improve some of my skills and learn more techniques so I’m planning to take some on line courses for those. I have been lucky enough to find some free watercolour tutorials and as a result of those and some challenges I decided to get my watercolours out to play with and here is the first scene …

I struggled to draw a chalet and the sunset is a little too red, something to remember the next time I try!

Here is my second attempt …

I prefer the mountains on this scene and I went a little too dark with the chalet colours

And finally my third attempt ...


I decided not to add any mountains to this scene.  I love the fence, the sky, the sunset and the trees but not so happy with the placement of the chalet, grr!

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Creative Artiste Challenge #22 Anything Mixed Media Goes
Creative Carte Blanche Challenge Baby It’s Cold Outside
We Love to Create Challenge #2 Anything Goes


I’m hoping to be able to take part in the 2017 Song Challenge that the Craft Barn Blog is holding and I will keep the pages that I create for those in a watercolour journal (I still have to make or purchase one) but for the first challenge I decided to push myself to draw and watercolour my snow scenes.  I’m entering the above challenges because I hope that my watercolour journal pages are allowed but if not please let me know and I’ll remove them from your challenges.

I know I still need to work a lot on my drawing and watercolours but I am, surprisingly, reasonably happy with the end result of these first three pages. I used the Inktense watercolour pencils that my lovely husband purchased for one of my Christmas present. I used both Sheena Douglass white stamping card and watercolour paper (another Christmas present) and I have to say I love the watercolour paper, so lush and luxurious! I have decided that sometimes I will draw and colour these pages and sometimes I will stamp them, it’s going to depend on how brave I am feeling and if I dare to share lol!

So I used watercolour pencils to draw the little chalet and I drew the fence, mountains, and trees with a paintbrush loaded with watercolours. Once the scenes were dry and I was happy with them I went back and added white gesso and glitter to certain areas to make the snow. I hope you like them and that you won’t mind me sharing these along with my usual cards, canvas, tags, and mixed media journal pages (I think these might be mixed media too lol)! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x









Tools
Miscellaneous Tools:
Paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette

Supplies
Card Paper:
Sheena Douglass white stamping card
Bockingford watercolour paper
Paint/Pencils:
Inktense watercolour pencils
Windsor & Newton half pan watercolours
Mediums:
White gesso

5 comments:

Brenda said...

I am really impressed with them all Karen!!! I couldn't have done this at all, but you have and to my eye, they all look great! I'm in awe my friend. Well done! Hugs, Brenda

Alysha Sheridan said...

Fab project thanks for joining us at Colour Crazy Challenge, Good luck, hugs Aly (DT)

rachel said...

these are fabulous Karen - I especially love the second one! Thanks so much for joining us at CVC too and good luck! hugs rachel x

Mickie said...

Karen - your pages are beautiful and I am so sorry that you were unable to access the link. I am afraid I have to leave all this in a comment because I cannot see how to contact you. I'm sure you will get this though. I do hope you will be with us next month and if you experience similar difficulties please, please, do email me at mickiecraftbarn@gmail.com with your entry.
As to the link closing early, what can I say? I will take special care when I post the February challenge on Sunday and hope very much to seeing you in The Craft Barn Challenges
Mickie xx

Cheryl Grigsby said...

I loved this post and how you shared your creative development of this project. I also love how you took "Baby, Its Cold Outside" and gave it a very warm feeling in a cold place. That is brilliant! Love this and hope you'll share more with us at Creative Carte Blanche!