Monday, 18 July 2016

In flight ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend was a good one and your week has started really well.  I am back with another card created with a stamp from my new Prima set.  Unusually I am beyond happy with the finished look of this card. This set of stamps will be used now to create hangings and decorative items created or embellished with these stamps.  Here is today’s card …

 
She needed to be an A5 card!
I wanted/needed to make her the star so I sort of framed the image with minimal embellishments
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Craft Stamper Challenge Take It Make
Creative Artiste Challenge #16 Anything Goes 
Dare 2B Artzy Challenge Lots of Layers
Pixie’s Snippets Playground #238: the Kraft card 
 Virginia’s View Challenge #22 All About Colours 


I used a Distress ink pad to stamp the bird and flower because I wanted that line to disappear after adding the paint.  After stamping the bird I added a layer of water around the bird and flower then I coloured/filled in the sky behind the bird and flower images with a blue wash which I created using my Landscape AquaTints.

Recently I’ve ruined several scenes or images because I have not left the watercolour paint long enough to completely dry and I’ve added more paint earlier than I should have.  I was very aware of that whilst working on this image so after colouring the sky I left it to dry overnight before colouring the bird and the flower with my paints.  I created a brown wash and slowly added layers of colour to her wings and I used my heat tool to completely dry each layer of watercolour before adding more.  That has worked well for me this time so I am hoping I remember to do it in future lol!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon.  ttfn Karen x










Tools
Stamp:
Prima Bloom Birds stamp set
Stencil:
Great Impressions Cloud stencil kit
Miscellaneous Tools:
Tim Holtz distressing tool; heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot

Supplies
Card Paper:
Sheena Douglass white stamping card
Crafters Companion Kraft card
300 gsm card
HOTP patterned paper #
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Beautifully Grunge; Landscape
Distress ink pad: Weathered Wood
Black fine line pen
Embellishments:
Wooden flowers from my stash
Other flowers: created with a mould and air dry clay
Adhesives/Mediums:
Collall all purpose glue; double sided tape; Funky Foam

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 8 years old

10 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Your water colouring of the bird is lovely. I think that is where I went wrong when I was doing my mice images. Once they had dried they didn't look as bad. I had kept on applying the colour over wet. Your resulting painting is gorgeous. I just love that bird image. Hugs Mrs A.

Wheelie Crafty said...

Such a gorgeous watercolour painting of the bird...
Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

Jackie Trinder said...

Hi this is stunning I love your painting. Thank you for joining us at <a href='http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk/’> Creative Artiste Challenge Blog </a> for challenge 16 Anything Goes and the sponsor is Scrapmatts. Hugs Jackie DT

SARN said...

Wonderful card. Love all the distressed edges too. xxx

Di said...

Wow Karen, what a stunning bird image and so beautifully coloured too. The end result is beuatiful - great sense of movement too!

Hugs

Di xx

Cara said...

This is just beautiful, no wonder you were happy with it. Cara x

Aileen Ryan said...

Beautiful card, love your design.

Brenda said...

Beautiful card Karen! I am so loving that beautiful bird in flight, wow! I can see why this will be a well loved stamp. I love it too! I hope things are looking up for you my friend. Yes, Fibro and RA are no fun at all, add Lupus and Sjogrens to my Fibro and RA and it really puts me under too. I wish a cure would be found, maybe one day....Keeo haning in there!!! hugs, Brenda

Ellie Knol said...

Thanks for joining in the Craft Stamper's TIMI challenge, LOVE your entry!
xxx Ellie Knol xxx

Katelyn said...

Great card Karen! The colours are beautiful together. Thanks for playing along with us on the Southern Ridge Trading Company Blog!
-Katelyn DT member at Southern Ridge