Thursday, 16 June 2016

June's first not a card or tag ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  I have been playing with different mediums, seeing what they do and how they do it.  It has been interesting, to say the least, and I know I need to find out some more details of one of them, at least lol!  It was a fun play session though and here is my project …

 
Lots of bright blue, pink, purple and a little green too!
It was fun to create and fun to learn more about some of my mediums
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
A Vintage Journey Challenge Texture I've used texture paste and crackle accent
Stamps & Stencils Challenge June Floral Frenzy


This canvas started out because of the challenges about texture and colour.  I wanted to experiment with texture paste and crackle as well as my usual experiments.  I have learnt more ‘what not to do’s’ as well as the ‘wow that worked’.  I’ve also learnt that mixing up the genres sometimes works too.  I wanted bold colours, shabby, shiny and lots of texture and I think I achieved it.  Many thanks to the challenges that particularly share the step by steps – you are very generous with your skills and are great for me as I am more or less housebound which means getting to courses is a major issue.  I really appreciate it that you share your talent and how to with us all.

Although I wanted texture and crackle I was not sure why or what else to do.  So I allowed myself to go with the flow.  I used snippets of background card that I had coloured with my Beautifully Grunge & Essentials Spectrum Noir AquaTints.  One of the backgrounds is pink and gold and the other is purple and gold.  I used the same stamp and a Staz On ink pad to add stamped details.  Once I was happy with the papers attached them onto a piece of chipboard. 

For the next step I attached a stencil and applied texture paste.  I left it to dry before colouring with white acrylic paint that I added pink AquaTints to: I love the ombre!  Once that part was dry I added a piece of ribbon to hide the join between the texture paste and the stamped cards. 

Then I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment onto white parchment which I attached to a piece of white card using very old gem brads at the top.  I added a dragonfly brad to the bottom.  I coloured some of chipboard cogs with Americana acrylic paint and I coloured the other embellishments so that they would work with the colours and attached them onto the chipboard.  Once this was dry I added a layer of Crackle Accents to the top half and over all of the embellishments.


The fact that it has worked is more by luck than anything else, I think, but I do know I am become a little more comfortable with these different to me products and mediums and for that I am very grateful and happy.  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon  ttfn Karen x








Tools
Stamp:
Tim Holtz It’s All Perspective stamp set
Rubber Dance Art stamps: Round in Circles stamp set
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Tim Holtz Sizzix Bigz Tattered Floral die
Stencil:
Stamplorations Stamps Foiled stencil
Miscellaneous Tools:
Heat tool; paintbrushes; palette knife; water pot

Supplies
Card Paper:
Country View Crafts: chipboard sheets
Sheena Douglass A4 white stamping card
Snippet parchment
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Beautifully Grunge; Essentials & Landscape
Spectrum Noir: Sparkle Overlay pen
Americana acrylic paint: Coastal Waters
Artiste acrylic paint: gold
The Works: white acrylic paint
Staz On IPs: Blue Hawaii
WOW pink EP
Embellishments:
Wild Orchid Crafts Chrysanthemum flowers; Tando Creative Chipboard Cogs; EBay sequins
Papermania gem brads #; Dragonfly brads #
Adhesives/Mediums:
Ranger Crackle Accents; DecoArt texture paste; Versamark IP

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 5 years old


21 comments:

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Lots of gorgeous texture and colour Karen, a beautiful creation.
Lorraine

Tenia Nelson said...

Gorgeous@

Tenia Nelson said...

Gorgeous!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

It's always fun to play with different mediums and I love your results. Lovely mix of elements. Thanks so much for joining in A Vintage Journey Chakkenge. Tracy x

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Karen, what lovely canvases, lovely texture and colours, so much detail to look at, love them, Kate x

Jackie Trinder said...

Hi this is a fantastic canvas. Thank you for joining us at <a href='http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk/’> Creative Artiste Challenge Blog </a> for challenge 15 Anything Goes and the sponsor is Foilplay. Hugs Jackie DT

Brenda said...

Wow Karen, you have a lot going on with this card and I am loving it! The colors are divine, love the crackles, circles, the touch of gold, it all makes this card so fabulous. The gears and flowers are really pretty too. At first glance I thought this was a shell card because the flowers at first glance looked like shells to me. lol Love that sentiment and I think you knock it out the park with all your texture! Hugs, Brenda

Bibi, Rubber Dance Stamps said...

Beautiful card, Karen! Great use of our challenge colours this month!
Very cool crackle effect. I love the sentiment! Thank you for using my circle stamps and for joining the June challenge at Rubber Dance once more ♥

Wheelie Crafty said...

Love your canvas, all the effects have turned out lovely
Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...
Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner xxx
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

Creative Artiste Challenge Blog
creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com

nitisartfromheart.bloggspot.no said...

This was incredibly beautiful, Karen! I love the colours, the texture and the stamps! Thank you so much for joining the Rubber Dance Challenge!
Hugs, DT-Anita

ionabunny said...

Hi Keren, what a lovely piece. I know what you mean about finding out how new products work. Just got some new textured paints and am still trying to work out how they do what they do LOL. Thanks for joining the Rubber Dance challenge. Hugz

Astrid Maclean said...

Looks like a great fun plya session with wonderful results! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at A Vintage Journey!

Katie Lamb said...

Gorgeous tag and love the colours. Thank you for playing along with Things to Alter.

Katie Lamb said...

Gorgeous tag and love the colours. Thank you for playing along with Things to Alter.

Majo said...

Stunning creation. Thanks so much for joining the challenge at Rubber Dance Stamps.

Majo - DT ♥

Cara said...

Great sentiment and love the mix of colours. Cara x

Vintagehandmade said...

Gorgeous creation with such fabulous colors and amazing textures! Love your flowers! Thank you for joining us at Stamps and Stencils this month! Branka DT

rachel said...

How did I miss this one Karen - its so very pretty - gorgeous use of colours and textures and wonderful crackle! Thanks for joining in with our crackle challenge at CVC and good luck! Hugs rachel x

Julia S-W said...

Eye catching colour and love all that crackle!Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Julia S-W

Team Clark said...

I so love your (GORGEOUS) creative play! The textures and color are all perfect, not to mention the card layout. How wonderful to have you share with us at Stamps & Stencils, such a treat!

Team Clark said...

I am so sorry, I meant to say thank you for sharing with us at Stamps & Stencils. Long day...